Monday, July 29, 2013

You May Be the Beginning of a New Generation

When looking for the good in others we learn at least this one lesson: We each are of infinite value, and there is much to learn from the example of many great people.

One of the reasons WHY I collect a "List of Great People" is the inspiration and motivation I feel comes from noticing and admiring individual qualities of family, friends and connections. We really do not need to look far to spot a hero. They are all around us!

I'm currently reading "Mark of a Giant: Seven People Who Changed the World" (which, again, was given me be a friend I admire for a long list of wonderful attributes). In it I find that we all can change BIG through SMALL consistent behavior in what we believe in.

While spending two years as a missionary I had the privilege of serving with Gregory Cox. Last week I was blessed to be reunited with him and his family. Here's one of many thoughts that came to me:
In 1993 Greg and I were just two boys. During our momentous reunion we rekindled a most precious friendship. However, this time we were surrounded by our families. That we as parents somehow will pass on a legacy is an understatement, but to imagine that down the road hundreds and maybe (long term) even thousands of descendants will follow blows my mind. A house full of people is certainly a wonderful beginning, though.
Who would've thought: "Two boys reunited...
Just like one can count the seeds in an apple, but not the apples from a seed, in each one of us lies the potential to change and improve an entire generation. Needless to say, today I'm adding Greg to my list of great people for the honesty and sincerity he possesses, and thus being among the best friends I could ever wish to have.

...together with a bunch of wonderful individuals!" ;-)
Two quotes in particular provide perspective to what I feel right now:
"No success can compensate for failure in the home." (David O. McKay)
"It is more noble to give yourself completely to one individual than to labor diligently for the salvation of the masses." (Dag Hammarskjold)

2 comments:

  1. You made my day by posting this Vidar, thank you so much for you and your talents and I am grateful for the blessing that I was allowed to meet you on my way in life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ellen. I believe you just returned the favour! ;-)

    ReplyDelete