Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Being and Becoming vs Getting and Gathering

Here's the thing... In the middle of all our efforts to produce results, what really matters isn't really the result.

You're thinking: "What's he saying? Vidar's work is all about deliverables, execution, numbers, hard data and results! What's this rubbish?!"

I believe we should always remember: When we focus on reaching goals, executing strategy, making our budget and stirring organizational effectiveness we B-E-C-O-M-E. The result is being and becoming, not only getting or gathering. Upon entering life we're naked, and naked it is when we leave. Thus, the result that ultimately matters most is what life has made of us, not so much what we made of life.

I enjoy daily struggles because of what we can accomplish, but even more so because of what I believe it helps us become. If at any moment I forget that deeper purpose, sooner of later I find frustration and "become less". But when I remember that in the middle of all the pain the real value is the very process, then that thought itself inspires me and quite possibly "improves my becoming".


The Humble Servant
It reminds me of a story I once heard, and maybe you can help me find the source to it..?

There once was a king who had a faithful and humble servant. One day the king announced his leaving on a long journey and ordered the servant to move a huge rock. More than a year went by, but the servant unable to move the big stone even a single inch, grew increasingly disappointed with himself. When the king returned the servant lamented his failure to perform his duty. The king set him in front of a mirror and there the servant saw and witnessed a transformation he hardly was able to recognize. "I never wanted the rock removed", said the king. "I only desired your individual growth and strength".

No comments:

Post a Comment