Sunday, August 28, 2011

An Even Higher Bird's Eye View

A few days ago I shared a simple question that allows for self evaluation of results. Today I'd like to comment on an even richer aspect than merely "results", namely that of relationships.

What is it that matters most?

...and how do we know what matters most on a daily basis? Even though the question is generic, it will return a unique response from any individual who seeks to answer it. We all have different lives and backgrounds feeding us with values and insight. However, the one thing that remains the same for all is the importance of "our relationships" with other people.

Rather Who Than Where!
No one ever said on their deathbed "I wish I'd spent more time at the office", i.e. to the degree the office does not build the desired relationships, there are other places we also should spend our time. Still, WHERE is by far less relevant than WHO.

The "WHO question" I suggest provides better direction than any other question is, in my experience: "Who have I served today?" alternatively "What have I done for someone else?"

Being selfless and open to "doing good to anyone" is really the stuff that makes for an exciting life. Am I trying to be good? Sure. Am I missing opportunities? All the time. That's why I keep asking myself this question. I find that it reinforces purpose and always offers immediate impressions. Most of all, this question reminds me that all people have equal value and also that, in fact, some relationships are more important than others.

My wife, Lillian Marie Top, is a great example to me. She always serves the people around her. That's why I decided to dedicate "The 3 Energies" to her.

See Vidar Top's list of great people!

No comments:

Post a Comment