There are quite a few things the iPad does much better than my Macbook or iPhone. In my view, if you give it a chance a tablet like e.g. the iPad quickly becomes indispensable. Instead of listing a bunch of brilliant iPad applications, which so many have done before me, let me share two main areas that stand out:
|Vidar Top playing the piano with the iPad displaying sheet music.|
Reading and Viewing
Whatever we used to do in front of the screen, most of it is so much better with the iPad.
- Reading the news almost feels like holding a virtual newspaper, sharing via twitter or commenting articles as you go. Yesterday CNN launched live viewing via their iPad application.
- Reading books becomes much more interactive, e.g. looking up footnotes in a split second, marking text as well as adding notes that immediately are indexed for searching and future reference.
- Any PDF document is easily converted to book handling format.
- Viewing photos (or movies) becomes natural in every casual setting. (The phone is simply too small to really enjoy multimedia, the laptop too clumsy or formal.)
- ...and browsing the web in general feels so much more interactive and right.
Maybe, for the first time in the digital knowledge worker age, getting rid of paper --completely-- is for real. I can print documents from my iPad, but why should I..?!
- Brain mapping is intuitive and easy. It's one of many creative "paper based activities" I thought would never change.
- Drawing is just like the real thing, only quicker and more advanced with every needed tool, quite literally, at your fingertips.
- All notes are synchronized in the cloud with any other device.
- Clutter generating activities like sticky notes and task lists are gone from my desk and pockets completely.
- ...in short, almost every application that ever used to require printing no longer demands it from a user perspective.
Consequently, I find that the iPad appears to be superior in every respect as a tool in support of teaching, presenting, taking notes and almost everything else. If you're unwilling to give any type of tablet a fair chance you're missing out on a great tool that lifts all existing tools.