Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bed Time!

Bed time for the kids is a magical moment for me as a parent. We have five children, and each of them has qualities so rewarding to my wife and me. Let's make sure to stay close to our children.

Regardless of the amount of time I spend at work or in church service, there are a few basic routines I always maintain. I exercise and then I always read the scriptures in the morning. It's a moment I wouldn't miss for all the world. A time to think and ponder. Also, as a family, we read together every morning. This is mainly where I get my energy - "starting the day on the right foot" - with God and with my family!

Previously, I shared how making sure to have dinner together as a family makes a big difference. Today I'd like to share a few comments about that one golden moment for me as a parent. A good friend of mine said it so well:

     "We need kids for our own upbringing."

How true that is. When is that golden moment for parents? It's when the kids retire. It's when we announce bed time. Besides reading them a story and singing songs, what I enjoy the most is just lying next to them and spend the time listening. At this time they have every reason to speak and share. These visits are priceless to me. I know, the kids appreciate it, but I sincerely believe I'm the greater beneficiary.

No comments:

Post a Comment