Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Eternal Family Perspective

I recently had the most amazing experience. One that I feel profoundly has deepened my appreciation for the value and eternal perspective of my family - the perspective of any family.

Three days ago all seven individuals in our family gathered in a circle after breakfast and had a wonderful discussion. This is not an unusual thing. We get together as often as we possibly can, and especially before we go our separate ways to school, work and daily tasks. It was in this setting that I suddenly and quite unexpectedly received an impression that probably will stay with me for many years; in a split second I saw each family member as a grown-up person. As a father and mother in their own future family. I saw how my example and influence will affect them, their children and children's children -  many people in future generations.

The insight gave me an instant and almost overwhelming sense of responsibility. This long term perspective - brought to me during just a brief moment of clarity - instilled in me an enormous respect for each one. You know how we as parents sometimes treat children and adults differently. I often ask myself during daily interaction with our kids; "would I treat my colleague like that?" And, yes, sometimes I have to admit the immediate response in my mind is "absolutely not". Then I try to change or adjust my approach. These are important reflections to cause greater self awareness and correction.

Let's treat our children as the best of friends, as future fathers and mothers and with integrity. Let's treat our children the way we ourselves would like to be treated; with love and respect and as a person with a distinct identity and intrinsic inherent value. Let's send out positive and uplifting signals in everything we think, everything we say and in all that we do, every hour of the day.

And with this meaningful challenge I wish all my readers a happy holiday season and a merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vidar,
    Thank uou for sharing this experience. I absolutely agree with you regarding treating any one with respect, and that certainly includes children, also our own.

    I have a friend who says that you can never be better than your thoughts about yourself let you be. So let us help our children to believe in themselves as good persons, with every possibility, if they want to.

    Merry christmas and a happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that beautiful experience Vidar.

    A Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family

    ReplyDelete