Saturday, October 9, 2010

Visiting Ensign Peak

A few weeks ago I had the privilege of climbing Ensign Peak - on my own. It was something very special to me and a walk I've been wanting to make for many years. The view is wonderful and truly inspiring.

Spending regular private time in reflection and solitude is by far the main source of renewed energy for me. There are different kinds of layers I might like to add to such private moments. It helps to read inspired text or poetry. I may enjoy beautiful art or simply breath in nature by taking a walk. Also, I find that driving long distances for work and business purposes often allows me to just think and let my mind search and wonder freely.

At such times I revisit with purpose and meaning, I ponder difficult questions and challenges as well as evaluate how I'm doing in the different roles of my life. Invariably, I usually come out of such mental or spiritual exercise by feeling compelled to write down thoughts and impressions. To me, it's as if "a once in a lifetime opportunity" is lost if I don't. It'll be gone forever. I simply cannot afford such loss of ideas or inspiration. Also, putting down on paper what I've been thinking helps me to resolve and recommit. Thus, my journal has become an invaluable resource or tool.


Visiting Ensign Peak
For me, one particularly powerful way to increase the value of private time is to visit special / historic far away places. I have a list of unique venues I plan to "celebrate" - on my own. Recently I had an inspiring experience I'd like to share here:

For many years I've had Ensign Peak on my wish list, and thus finally made an appointment to actually go there. The weekend before attending the FranklinCovey Sales and Delivery Conference in Salt Lake City I determined to climb this hill. As I walked, I pictured in my mind Brigham Young and other distinguished personalities. I pondered special events that at the time may have seemed insignificant but have made a huge difference in the lives of many people. I thought about written words relating to this historic site and the meaning it conveys. I thought about my family.

Coming downhill a little more than an hour later I had made several important decisions and felt a desire to be a better person. Ensign Peak will forever remain a special place to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment