Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Power of a Compliment

The power of a compliment is fantastic. But be careful to do it in a sincere way. Too often we miss wonderful opportunities to lift people beyond our wildest imagination.

About a year ago I shared some thoughts about paying attention to the people around us. Today I'd like to do a quick follow up. I've seen individuals literally go through the roof because of a simple compliment. In fact, it never ceases to amaze me.

So tell me, what is a compliment ...and can I share some thoughts I've had lately?

First of all, if you want to make a difference in the life of someone, try to find "the best stuff" in them. But not only the best, also look for the small. When you open your mouth, make sure it's a clean compliment. Don't include negative feedback in the same sentence. It ruins the value of your shared feelings. (And we so often do this without knowing!)

Second, do it sincerely. Don't compliment someone with a hidden agenda.

Third; making eye contact makes all the difference!

My last little thought on this... Exemplify whatever you say. So often, almost daily, I hear "the beginning of wonderful compliments", but then they quickly evaporate simply because people don't spend the time to elaborate and explain in detail what they mean. Relate specifically from real life examples what it is you mean. We love to hear someone tell stories of our own life and example among others.

The need for recognition is, of course, no different in business. As a matter of fact, research provides clear indications that positive feedback is what poor managers miss and what the best managers are good at. Pay someone a sincere compliment today!

No comments:

Post a Comment