Monday, March 8, 2010

Integrity..?

I do speak about integrity as part of sales training. I believe more sales trainers should. Strangely enough, people sometimes ask me to provide a good definition of integrity. That, in itself, may be an interesting phenomenon. Is the term too big for us these days?

There are a number of excellent definitions of integrity. One definition I especially can appreciate for its exactness and illustrative power was given by Stephen Covey:


"Integrity includes but goes beyond honesty. Honesty is telling the truth - in other words, conforming our words to reality. Integrity is conforming reality to our words - in other words, keeping promises and fulfilling expectations."

If that doesn't help, then think of integrity in these terms: If everyone could see and hear everything you do all the time, what would you change? The way I see it; this is where we find the meaning of integrity - even in our own lives right now.

2 comments:

  1. You know, my favorite definition of integrity is used the same as the term in architecture. Without integrity, your structure will fall. Apply that principle to your life and the things you say and you will soon learn what problems a lack of integrity cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! that's a good way to explain. I'll make use of it.

    ReplyDelete