Friday, October 30, 2009

Why gamble gambling?

I could never figure out why anyone would buy a lottery ticket! Today I came across a wonderful blog post on the subject by Seth Godin. His point of view is beautifully put forth: "It's not the destination, it's the journey".

Besides all the devastating side effects of gambling, to me gambling is like a game you can never win. In fact, just by "playing the game of gambling" you've chosen a loser's lifestyle.

Whenever I put it this bluntly some people respond by trying to defend the fact that many lotteries support charitable causes. Well, that only makes it worse though, doesn't it?! If you're going to support charity, at least do it secretly and without the selfish objective of getting something (I might add "much bigger") in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment