Saturday, October 10, 2009

Children can be tough critics

This morning I had... an interesting experience. You may laugh, but it did take me a few seconds to "enjoy" the hard learnt lesson in this one:

As you might know, storytelling is actually a very important part of what I do for a living. During training, it's extremely important to relate relevant stories to exemplify the principles behind what is being taught. People love the entertainment and real-life practicality that stories provide. And as a matter of fact, I like to think I'm not too bad at it - at storytelling, I mean.

Well, early this morning Lucy, who's our four year old daughter, jumped into our bed while everybody was still asleep. So, I decided to tell her an exciting fairytale. I was about half way and all enthused about the tension I had created when she cut me short and whispered: "Dad, let me tell you another story that's a lot more exciting than this one..!"

Well, there you go ;-) Young children can sometimes give us the most valuable feedback, i.e. I guess I still have a lot of room for improvement in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment