Thursday, July 16, 2009

I love you because...

I was a young boy of about ten years and overheard great advice: "Whenever you tell someone you love them, also tell them why".

At the time I thought it sounded nice. Over the years, rather difficult. Now, I feel it's profound and almost a lifestyle. I can really appreciate the value of a compliment and it being specific. I try to live the principle and every time I do I can sense how it lifts people in an otherwise dreary and depressing world.

Some time ago I put together a survey on whether or not recognition is important. What was the response? What people think of us means e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g to us. A compliment makes all the difference! You may not feel it's that important, but that's probably just because you're already getting the attention from others that you need. You'll only know how much it means to you when it's no longer there.

So, next time you attend a funeral, check yourself with the following questions:

Am I paying tribute to the deceased with compliments and public admiration because I never did while he or she was yet alive? Am I only covering up guilt and desperately trying to fix what is now too late to do?

These are my thoughts, and when the answers are not right, I try to shape up - again - and pay more attention to the people around me that are still alive.

Remember, every single person we meet loves attention, craves a compliment, needs positive feedback and ultimately wants you to notice them for who they are and what they do.

1 comment:

  1. Profound thoughts. I've been at funerals with both sets of sentiments, and I have to say that one of them continues to haunt to this day. I suppose that I have the power to make the lesson stick, thereby gaining something positive, but it's still tough to look at it that way. Your blog always makes me think. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete